Writer and Editor (HSICC)
Fri, 07/31/2020 - 13:11
North Bethesda health and human services consulting firm seeks organized, detail-oriented team member to write and provide substantive, technical, and copy editing for online content related to early childhood education (Head Start).¬†
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Copy edit and proofread online content with adherence to established style guides and a focus on plain-language and Section 508 requirements
- Ensure best practices for search engine optimization (SEO)
- Ensure the voice of the client is represented in all products
- Coordinate and communicate with web and quality assurance teams, content and communication liaisons, and federal clients
- Track products through their lifecycle, from development to posting to archiving/records management
- Assists in maintaining style guides and standards
- Compile daily news stories related to Head Start and its grantees
- Support promotion of content by suggesting, writing, and editing e-alerts, social media messages, and other channels
- Assist with administrative tasks for the editorial department, including maintaining images
- Contribute to proposals and support other JBS projects as requested
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
Education:¬† Bachelor‚Äôs degree in English, journalism, or related discipline
Language:¬†English fluency (oral and written)
Experience: 2 years of experience as a writer/editor, preferably for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services or other federal agencies or contracting organizations involved in the health and human services or education fields. ¬† Experience in writing and editing online content for a variety of audiences (e.g., caregivers, early childhood educators).
Knowledge:¬†Writing; editing. Knowledge of early childhood education issues, familiarity with Head Start
Skills:¬†Strong written and oral communications skills. Strong collaborative skills, with ability to engage with a team of talented in-house staff and external consultants to develop consensus-based content. Strong organizational skills, with ability to handle multiple projects at once while maintaining attention to detail. Commitment to customer/client service.
Software¬†Proficiency: ¬†Microsoft Office Suite (specifically Word)
Location: North Bethesda, MD
PREFERRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS:¬†
Language:¬†Spanish fluency preferred
Experience:¬†5 years of experience as a writer/editor, preferably for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services or other federal agencies or contracting organizations involved in the health and human services or education fields.
Software¬†Proficiency:¬†Familiarity with Drupal CMS considered a plus
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED:¬†This position description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position nor will it be the sole basis for any subsequent employee evaluations. Incumbents will follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties as may be required by their supervisor.
This position is subject to availability of funds and to any and all restrictions contained in the contract or contracts that provide funding for this position.
¬†If you meet the minimum requirements for this position, please click on the "Apply" link posted below and complete the application. Please include a cover letter, resume, and at least three (3) professional references.¬†
Our company is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Applicants can learn more about the company's status as an equal opportunity employer by viewing the federal "EEO is the Law" poster at¬†EEOPost.pdf.¬†
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
- Maryland Office