Wed, 07/07/2021 - 15:48
The Solutions Architect (SA) combines technical solution crafting skills, analytic skills, and technical skills to architect, design, develop, and deploy software as a solution or service (SaS) to fulfill the requirements of JBSâ€™s government, nonprofit and commercial clients. The SA is distinguished from a being purely a developer or programmer by his or her ability to carry the solution from initial ideation and discovery and vision to customer acceptance and satisfaction throughout every step of the SDLC. Â The SA sets the direction and approach for the digital solutions team to follow as applicable or on similar projects moving forward. Solutions must be innovative yet proven. Solutions typically cover the entire technology stack and include both open source and commercial software. Thoughtful solutions that represent solid end-to-end architecture as best-of-breed technology mix and best-fit constitute a winning solution for JBS customers.
The SA works directly with (internal and external) customer representatives and/or other Digital Solution staff such as analysts and engineers to understand the problem statement and all related people, process, and technology dependencies and factors. A key work product will be solution proposals to be shared and evaluated by others, including JBS Project Directors, Digital Solutions directors, clients, and applicable staff. The SA possess exceptional communication and writing skills and will interact with various levels of technical know-how throughout the day. Must be able to develop cost budget and level-of effort estimates for internal teams and for the development of new business opportunities that arise.
The SA will participate in gathering requirements and create robust, usable, sustainable, flexible, and scalable technical approaches to and for our clientsâ€™ complex problems. Problem distillation is a very important aspect of this position. The SA will demonstrate immediately applicable technical aptitude as well as a propensity for learning new tools and techniques quickly in a fast-paced environment. The SA will share the desire to lead JBS by crafting innovative solutions to solve complex problems with a technology agnostic posture. The SA must work with common day technologies supporting an agile approach. The work environment requires high level collaboration without direct supervision.Â
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:Â
- Exemplify advanced technical skill in debugging and implementation, broad technical understanding, and capability to serve as a technical leader and adviser for projectsÂ and the technical team and JBS.
- Work with internal and externals clients, JBS software developers and managers and other solution architects to design, implement, and document code modules according to the chosen system architecture.
- Create and maintain architecture, design, and requirements documentation in concert with the project team, and ensure that the implementation and documentation remain in sync.
- Knowledge of relevant industry standard development and design approaches, engineering practices and security.
- Track work in issue management and version control systems according to established practices within the department or project, communicate up-to-date status and participate in the SDLC, including agile processes.
- Estimate and complete work in a timely and predictable manner.
- Use debuggers, console outputs and system logs to efficiently diagnose system failures and bugs.
- Work with the other solutions architect(s), system and/or business analysts to create software and system architectures for the development team.
- Review and inspect code for quality.
- Provide direction, mentoring to more junior developers and technical staff.Â
- Work with analysts and more senior architects to gather requirements, convert user-facing requirements into technical requirements, architectures, and implementations.
- Strategic goals:
- Operate as a customer-facing consultant to facilitate the translation of customer requirements to technical implementations.
- Strive for multi-disciplinary technical expertise and cross-cutting skills to quickly learn and apply new technologies as necessary for JBS's project and innovations.
- Manage development resources and schedules:
- Task, monitor and manage the developersâ€™ daily work-cycle.
- Provide direct support, performance feedback, and mentoring.
- Assist in the hiring process and technical evaluation of potential new hires to the technical teams.
- Writing for proposals: Contribute to writing proposals for new business that clearly communicate innovative solution architecture ideas.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS:Â
Education: Bachelorâ€™s Degree in Computer Science or a similar discipline
Language: English Fluency (oral and written)
Experience: A minimum of 8 years of programming experience to produce software solutions. Â A solid understanding and various mix of frameworks supporting both presentation, middle, and backend layers. Experience with version control software such as TFS and Git, and issue management tools such as Jira or Bugzilla. Experience using IDEs such as Visual Studio, PHPStorm, etc. Experience driving the technical approach to new software or software enhancements through research, prototyping and applying sound, industry-standard software engineering practices.
Skills: Work affectively using Agile methodologies in a team environment. Able to utilize server-side frameworks such as .Net, J2EE, etc. Able to review design and code artifacts for organization, modularity, and sound practices. Able to communicate technical details effectively. Willingness to learn and apply whatever technology is necessary to fulfill the requirements of JBS and our customers. Must be able to use tools such as Word, Visio, PowerPoint, and others as needed to produce design and architecture documentation, as well as planning and management documentation, to communicate complex topics to the team and our customers. Solid understanding of cognitive technologies such as AI, machine learning, natural language process, etc.Â
Soft Skills:Â Experience in developing quality written materials for various audiences. Excellent verbal skills necessary for presentations and meetings.
Clearance: Must be able to obtain and maintain an HHS Public Trust clearance.
Â Location: North Bethesda or Remote
Â At this time, JBS International, Inc. cannot sponsor nor transfer a work visa for this position. Applicants must be authorized to work directly for any employer in the United States without visa sponsorship.
PREFERRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS:Â
Education:Â Masterâ€™s Degree Preferred
Familiarity with quality control standards, such as CMMI, ISO, NIST, Six Sigma, etc.
Skills: Able to create abstract and reusable architectural templates and â€śbuilding blocksâ€ť for reuse and implementations such as Test Automation, Cloud Infrastructure, Content Management, etc.
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED:Â This position description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position nor will it be the sole basis for any subsequent employee evaluations. Incumbents will follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties as may be required by their supervisor.
Â This position is subject to availability of funds and to any and all restrictions contained in the contract or contracts that provide funding for this position.
Â APPLICATION INFORMATION:
Â If you meet the minimum requirements for this position, please click on the "Apply" link posted below and complete the application. Please include a cover letter, resume, and at least three (3) professional references.Â
Our company is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Applicants can learn more about the company's status as an equal opportunity employer by viewing the federal "EEO is the Law" poster atÂ EEOPost.pdf.Â
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
- Maryland Office