Software Development Manager
Thu, 12/06/2018 - 11:21
The Software Development Manager will provide technical hands-on support for IT and project staff developing and deploying leading edge software solutions. Candidates should exhibit strong leadership, communication and technical prowess, and be comfortable with driving a diverse technical team of web, enterprise and full-stack developers to deliver results. The candidate should feel comfortable with making technical and resource allocation decisions for development efforts and related operational tasks.
The Software Development Manager is a multipurpose role with both management and technical responsibilities, and the candidate should not be afraid to â€śdive inâ€ť to solve technical problems alongside the technical team when required. The successful candidate will have a mix of hands-on technical experience with multiple technologies in multiple stacks, and know how to provide sound principles of software engineering, computer science, and common industry practices using multiple tech. Our projects use a variety of commercial and open-source components and middleware, and the candidate should be comfortable learning new technologies as needed to support the development team. The Software Development Manager will be responsible for guiding and mentoring the development team and facilitating the technical and professional growth of the development practice and its individual team members.
Strong writing skills are required are required for technical documentation and proposal activity as needed. The candidate must communicate in an effective and timely manner with clients and team members. Experience with supporting software development projects for Federal Government clients (including security analysis and ATOs) is preferred. The candidate should be able to obtain Public Trust Clearance.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Working with Senior Developers and Software Architects, provide guidance and subject matter expertise through the entire software development lifecycle (requirements, build, run) for web, enterprise, and desktop software development projects
- Track emerging and innovate technologies to provide compelling value for our clients and keep our development team abreast of the â€śstate of the artâ€ť
- Plan resource allocations and estimate levels of effort and completion timelines
- Conduct regular assessments and annual formal performance reviews for development team members, and provide guidance to boost their productivity, capability and professional growth
- Write code and participate in code reviews to deliver high-quality software artifacts
- Create and maintain system documentation and process flows for development and operational processes
- Respond as needed to direct support requests on a variety of development and operational tasks, including troubleshooting pre-production and production environment issues
- Support DevOps resources, including version control, deployment and release systems and processes
- Contribute significantly to the development, maintenance and improvement of IT security plans
- Assist in application deployment, migration, and security updates to ensure minimal down time for applications, including providing support outside of normal working hours when needed
- Stay current on new technologies and participate in the identification and selection of â€śbest fitâ€ť open source and off-the-shelf software solutions, keep apprised of technical and business developments affecting areas of activities and client / customer interests, and investigate new issues and makes recommendations to senior management
- Working with the PMO, apply the principles of Agile Project Management and Self-Organizing teams to effectively apply development resources within iterative project lifecycles
- BS degree in Computer Science or related field is required.
- Minimum of 6 years of hands-on operations, development, release management and product experience in large or medium software development team
- Minimum of 2 years in a management or team leadership role with resource management responsibilities
- Background and familiarity with a variety of development technologies â€“ the successful candidate should have architect or lead experience with at least three of the following technologies (or similar):
- Configuration and use of CI and Operational Automation software such as Jenkins, Puppet
- Configuration and use of version control tools such as git, TFS. Familiarity with ALM.
- Ability to apply and use advanced technical knowledge in customer focused, quality-oriented environment.
- Ability to respond in a timely and professional manner to client and team requests.
- Ability to work productively in a mid-sized team (20+ members).
- Experience with security technologies such as various monitoring and log aggregation platforms, penetration testing frameworks, vulnerability scanners, and endpoint security solutions
- Knowledge of and adherence to HIPAA and safety guidelines
- Experience applying information security standards (e.g. NIST)
- Familiarity with multiple Database types (e.g. RDBMS, Document, Key-Value, Graph)
- Familiarity with infrastructure technology â€“TCP/IP networks, Linux and Unix Servers, VMWare Virtualization and Cloud technology such as Azure, GCP and AWS.
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED: This position description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position nor will it be the sole basis for any subsequent employee evaluations.Â Incumbents will follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties as may be required by their supervisor.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please click on the "APPLY NOW" link posted below and complete the application through ADP. All applications must include a cover letter, resume, at least three (3) professional references, and salary history. If you have technical difficulty, please email email@example.com to let us know of the issue.Â
Our company is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Applicants can learn more about the company's status as an equal opportunity employer by viewing the federal "EEO is the Law" poster atÂ EEOPost.pdfÂ Equal Opportunity Employer, Minorities/Religion/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Gender/Sexual Orientation
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
This position is subject to availability of funds and to any and all restrictions contained in the contract or contracts that provide funding for this position.
- Maryland Office