Science/Medical Writer (Writer and Editor)-NIDDK
Mon, 07/19/2021 - 10:36
North Bethesda health and human services consulting firm seeks a Science/Medical Writer to develop¬†web- and mobile-friendly¬†health content related to diabetes/endocrinology, digestive and liver diseases, kidney and urologic diseases, weight management, and diet and nutrition. The ideal Science/Medical Writer will have experience developing plain language health content for the general public, as well as scientific content for researchers, health care professionals, and other experts. An ability to research and translate health and medical information into concise, engaging, and actionable content is a must. Specific experience writing health content related to diabetes and endocrine diseases for federal health agencies is strongly preferred.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Research health information in medical and academic journals, textbooks, and biomedical websites,¬†and collaborate with federal agency staff and subject matter experts to ensure scientific accuracy of content.¬†
- Contribute to the full range of product development activities, including:
- Writing health content with a focus on plain language¬†and website best practices,¬†including SEO for all content.
- Working with federal agency and external subject matter experts.
- Researching appropriate artwork and images for use with related health content
- Preparing content for various stages of review, such as internal reviews, federal agency review, and external subject matter experts.
- Develop content for a¬†diabetes-focused weblog¬†targeting health care professionals.¬†
- Write additional outreach materials, such as news releases and eblasts.¬†
- Assist with development and review of required reports as needed.
- Assist with proposal development and support for other corporate projects as needed.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
Education:¬†Master‚Äôs degree in science, English, education, or public health.¬†
Language:¬†English fluency (oral and written)
Experience:¬†5 years‚Äô experience writing science and evidence-based content, preferably for the National Institutes of Health or other federal health agencies or contracting organizations involved in the health and human services field. Strong history of translating highly technical findings into concise, engaging, and actionable content that is written for the general public, researchers, health care professionals, and other experts. Experience writing and editing according to plain-language principles. Experience adhering to in-house and professional style manuals (e.g., AP, AMA).
Soft Skills:¬†Collaborative skills, can engage with a team of talented in-house staff and external consultants in the development of consensus-based content. Proven ability to identify, review, and critique topic-specific research literature; grade quality of evidence and strength of recommendations; and synthesize independently, with minimal guidance from content experts. Excellent writing skills as applied to scientific and health-related content. Ability to handle multiple projects at once while maintaining attention to detail. Strong organizational skills. Excellent oral communication skills.
Software¬†Proficiency:¬†Microsoft Office Suite¬†¬†
Location: North Bethesda, MD or remote work considered.
Knowledge: Researching and¬†writing; diabetes and endocrinology; familiarity with National Institutes of Health/National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases¬†
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED:¬†This position description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position nor will it be the sole basis for any subsequent employee evaluations. Incumbents will follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties as may be required by their supervisor.
This position is subject to availability of funds and to any and all restrictions contained in the contract or contracts that provide funding for this position.
¬†If you meet the minimum requirements for this position, please click on the "Apply" link posted below and complete the application. Please include a cover letter, resume, and at least three (3) professional references.¬†
Our company is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Applicants can learn more about the company's status as an equal opportunity employer by¬†viewing the federal "EEO is the Law" poster at¬†EEOPost.pdf.¬†
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
- Maryland Office