Research Assistant III - NAWS (California)
Fri, 02/19/2021 - 18:26
This Research Assistant III will be a Survey Specialist on the National Agricultural Workers Survey. The National Agricultural Workers Survey interviews farm workers throughout the United States, collecting data on farm workers and their jobs and families. ¬†The Survey Specialist will assist project staff on project coordination, support data collection efforts, data management, statistical analysis, report writing and presentations. Tasks may include providing support for maintaining and monitoring data collection efforts, preparing data for analysis, conducting data analysis, and preparing tables and graphs for reports and presentations; retrieving documents, literature, and data for reports, memos and presentations; assisting with the preparation and distribution of publications which may include design, layout, and copy-editing presentations or other materials. Tasks may also include providing support for maintaining and monitoring project work plans, timelines and schedules.
The Research Assistant III Survey Specialist makes a difference by supporting data analysis and dissemination products for policy makers, program managers, service providers and researchers who use the information in these products to make decisions that can improve farmworkers lives. Assisting with methodological studies helps strengthen the NAWS and ensures that the data that is used to make decisions about farmworkers is as accurate as possible.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Support of Data Collection Efforts
- Assist in collecting and organizing data using Microsoft Access, Excel and/or SAS.
Support of Documentation Efforts
- With the oversight of the Project Director, coordinate and oversee the maintenance of data dictionaries (files and codebooks), reviewing their completeness and accuracy; Assist with documenting statistical procedures; Assist with studies of data quality including response rates, non-response bias, design effects and other analysis of survey quality.
- Take minutes and maintain project records and documentation as needed.
- Enter/import data from multiple sources into SAS datasets, MS Access databases and Excel spreadsheets.
- Create brief summaries of technical reports and documents for entry into project databases.
- Conversion of Excel databases into other data formats such as SAS.
- Assist in collecting and organizing data from federal and other sources.
- Data cleaning, formatting, labeling, and archiving.
- Prepare datasets for complex statistical analysis (e.g. meta-analysis; multi-level models; longitudinal data analysis)
- This position will provide support for both simple and complex analyses which may include cross-tabulations, projections, estimates, and the preparation of graphs, charts, and PowerPoint presentations for clearance and distribution.
- Assist with data analysis of data including running or overseeing routine data checks. ¬†Conduct data analysis using SAS.
- With oversight of Project Director, develop and maintain accurate and up to date SAS, Excel or MS Access databases and perform analysis as needed for other projects.¬†
- Create tables and graphs (in Excel and/or PowerPoint) for reports and presentations as needed.
- Retrieve and compile documents, literature, resources, and data for statistical and other methodological memos, reports and presentations.¬†
- Assist with the preparation and distribution of statistical and other methodological memos, methodological reports and other documents.
- Assist with the preparation and distribution of publications, which may include narrative and/or basic design, layout, and copy-editing presentations or other dissemination materials.¬†
Assist in Other Project Services as Necessary
- When necessary, run SAS programs, Access queries, or generate statistical models in response to data information requests.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
Language:¬†English fluency (oral and written)
Education:¬†Bachelor‚Äôs Degree, preferably in Economics, Sociology, Statistics, Education, Social Sciences or a similar field.
Experience:¬†¬†1 year of work experience working in an office environment or in a research institution. Key qualifications knowledge of statistical analysis techniques and familiarity with survey methods. Experience includes initiative, great organizational skills, ability to work well in a team and independently, and excellent communication skills (oral and written).¬†Must be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
Software Proficiency:¬†One-year experience conducting analysis in SAS, Stata, R or similar statistical software (One year of statistical courses in college using SAS, Stata or R is acceptable in lieu of work experience using those software programs). ¬†One year of experience using MS Excel and Word (especially graph and table proficiency), and Power Point. ¬†
Location: Ability to report to the San Mateo, California Office once the office reopens. This is not a permanent telecommuting opportunity.¬†
PREFERRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
Experience: Previous work in a multi-cultural environment a plus. Familiarity with Spanish a plus. ¬†Knowledge of or experience with farmworkers and/or immigrant populations a plus.
Software Proficiency:¬†Experience using MS Access a plus.
Location:¬†Immediat ability to report to San Mateo, California Office a plus.¬†
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED:¬†This position description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position nor will it be the sole basis for any subsequent employee evaluations. Incumbents will follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties as may be required by their supervisor.
This position is subject to availability of funds and to any and all restrictions contained in the contract or contracts that provide funding for this position.
If you meet the minimum requirements for this position, please click on the "Apply" link posted below and complete the application. Please include a cover letter, resume, and at least three (3) professional references.¬†
Our company is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Applicants can learn more about the company's status as an equal opportunity employer by viewing the federal "EEO is the Law" poster at EEOPost.pdf. ¬†Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
At this time, we are unable to consider candidates from the following states: AK, AR, HI, IN, NH, OH, KY, LA, ME, MS, MO, MT, SD, ND, IA
- California Office