Editor (Head Start Information and Communications Center (HSICC))
Fri, 07/31/2020 - 12:21
North Bethesda health and human services consulting firm seeks organized, detail-oriented team member to provide substantive, technical, and copy editing for online content related to early childhood education (Head Start).¬†
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Copy edit, proofread, and ensure adherence to established style guides for newsletters, e-blasts, online content, blog posts, and social media content
- Assist with workflow tracking, including the content clearance process with the Office of Head Start
- Prepare online content for posting with a focus on plain-language ¬†and Section 508 requirements
- Work with Spanish-speaking translators and reviewers to prepare Spanish content for web posting
- Assist with captioning and transcribing video assets
- Assist with compiling daily news stories related to Head Start and its grantees
- Assist with administrative tasks for the editorial department, including maintaining images
- Contribute to proposals and support other JBS projects as requested
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS:¬†
Education:¬† Bachelor‚Äôs degree in English, journalism, or related discipline
Language:¬†English fluency (oral and written)
Experience: 2 years of editing experience, preferably for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services or other federal agencies or contracting organizations involved in the health and human services field.¬†
Knowledge:¬†Knowledge of early childhood education issues, familiar with Head Start.
Skills:¬†Strong written and oral communications skills. Experience editing online content for a variety of audiences (e.g., caregivers, early childhood educators). Strong collaborative skills and ability to engage with a team of talented in-house staff and external consultants to develop consensus-based content. Strong organizational skills, with ability to handle multiple projects at once while maintaining attention to detail. Commitment to customer/client service.
Software¬†Proficiency: ¬†Microsoft Office Suite (specifically Word)
Location: North Bethesda, MD
PREFERRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS:¬†
Experience:¬†5 years of editing experience, preferably for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services or other federal agencies or contracting organizations involved in the health and human services field.¬†
Language:¬†Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred
Software¬†Proficiency:¬†Familiarity with Drupal CMS considered a plus
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED:¬†This position description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position nor will it be the sole basis for any subsequent employee evaluations. Incumbents will follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties as may be required by their supervisor.
This position is subject to availability of funds and to any and all restrictions contained in the contract or contracts that provide funding for this position.
¬†If you meet the minimum requirements for this position, please click on the "Apply" link posted below and complete the application. Please include a cover letter, resume, and at least three (3) professional references.¬†
Our company is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Applicants can learn more about the company's status as an equal opportunity employer by viewing the federal "EEO is the Law" poster at¬†EEOPost.pdf.¬†
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
- Maryland Office